I have gotten a few (rightful) complaints from family and friends during the past few weeks about my lack of blogging. I think, perhaps, I freaked out a little bit and didn’t want to blog about the last few things I have been doing because that really meant the end. (NOTE: I will add pictures to this post, I just don’t want to waste my 30 minute time limit in the airport here on the uploading process.)
These last few weeks have been very bittersweet. I am SO ready to go home and have the comfort of family, friends, Christmas, and Elon, but I also can’t believe I will be gone from Heidelberg for “forever!”
A few highlights from the past weeks:
- Weihnachtsmarkts! Since we were mostly done with classes, we took our time wandering through the Christmas market and enjoying the food (crepes, brats, hot chocolate, skinny food basically…). We also made sure to buy any last minute Christmas presents for our family. Despite the somewhat rainy weather, it was still fun to wander through and act like locals.
- Finishing Classes! I’ve been done with classes officially since Wednesday, but my exams were the week before and I had almost all papers done by Monday. It was a different feeling from normal college (where you basically hop in the car once you finish your last exam). I had the motivation to finish my assignments sooner so I could use the last few days here to pack, explore, and spend time with my friends.
- Out on the Town! The last two weekends were SO much fun with friends. My closest friend group of 7 were all in town together, so we made sure to have fun and go to our last favorite bars and clubs one last time. We definitely got even closer in the end and made for a few teary moments (Cue: Lauren and us crying after a night of Karaoke and drinking, saying goodbye to her). We also had a big party for AJY and friends at Ben’s apartment on Thursday. It was nice to all be able to be together in a few rooms and hang out. It almost made me sadder, with this opportunity, to get to know others in the program even better so late in the trip!
- Full Circle! We noted a lot of things that happened to us at the beginning of the trip in the first few weeks, ended up happening during our last few weeks. Just small incidents and funny occurrences that aren’t exactly Internet appropriate. It became a catch phrase of ours at the end to note how things were wrapping up so well. It was a fast trip but SO many memories and countries and experiences happened. I made a PowerPoint of our friend group’s experiences and photos to show us at the end and being able to see how much we’ve accomplished and grown in just 115 days was amazing!
- Preparing for home! I could not be more excited to go home, even though I am really sad to leave. But being home means time with families and Christmas (Favorite. Holiday. Ever.). Plus so many things about home, most food! Examples: Chipotle, Corn Syrup Coke, English, Target… Luckily, we were all excited to go and all sad in the same ways to leave which made it easier. I definitely don’t think that I could have stayed a whole year, but I can’t imagine my life if I hadn’t taken up on this opportunity!
Get ready for a cheesy goodbye blog to come!